Hello dear ones! So sorry that our posts have been so few and far between in recent months, but Nicola and I have been traveling around a lot lately and we’re just settling back into sunny San Salvador again. In fact, I recently returned from a magical five-week yoga retreat and teacher training program at the Mahadevi Ashram at Lake Atitlán, Guatemala. This is not the forum to gush about this beautiful, transformative space, so I’ll limit myself to saying that in addition to hours of yogic practice, study and meditation, I also acquired some spectacular new vegan recipes.
This vegan milk recipe is a spin-off from the addictive “chan” milk that the good people at Mahadevi brewed for us every morning to accompany our breakfast of muesli and fruit. Quick, super nutritious and tasty, it’s great on its own as a morning smoothie. I’ve been making it for myself every morning back home in El Salvador to serve with some delicious homemade granola with raisins (Not exactly gluten free, but I’ll try and share that recipe with you all soon, too!).
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups of water
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ginger (dried or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of unsweetened cacao
- A pinch of salt
- Measure out your water & pour it into the blender. Add the chia seeds and let them soak for at least 5 minutes (the longer they soak, the more gelatinous they get).
- Peel & slice the bananas. Add them to the blender as well, followed by the ginger, cinnamon, cacao, turmeric and salt.
- Blend until smooth and a little frothy.
- Enjoy! Pour yourself a glass as a breakfast smoothie, or add it to your morning cereal.